The RSPH aims to recognize outstanding research accomplishments among RSPH faculty members across all levels. To accomplish this, at least three (3) and up to six (6) RSPH faculty members (at least one for each rank of Assistant, Associate, and Full Professors) will be recognized annually. Faculty rank, for the purposes of the different awards below, is determined by the nominees’ ranks during the Fall semester of the current academic year.
Early Career Research Excellence Award
The Early Career Research Excellence Awards recognize outstanding investigators at the Assistant Professor level.
Foundations Research Excellence Award
The Foundations Research Excellence Awards recognize outstanding investigators at the Associate Professor level.
Senior Research Excellence Award
The Foundations Research Excellence Awards recognize outstanding investigators at the Full Professor level.
The awards are given annually to full-time RSPH faculty members, who have made impactful research-related contributions to their field. Nominations of outstanding women, minorities, and members of other groups historically underrepresented in their disciplines are encouraged. Awardees will be recognized with a plaque at the awards ceremony and their names and accomplishments published on the awards website.
Eligibility: All full-time RSPH faculty members (all tracks), who have held faculty positions at RSPH for at least one year are eligible to be nominated for the Research Excellence Awards. Previous awardees are eligible for nomination if 5 or more years have passed since receipt of their prior award.
The purpose of these awards is to recognize outstanding scholarly and research achievements, which could include:
- Exemplary scholarly accomplishments (publications, presentations and/or other scholarly activities) that advance nominees’ fields of study
- Specific outstanding discoveries or the development of innovative technologies or practices
- Research that advances the school’s mission in expanding diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Research that engages with and positively impacts communities that we serve
- Outstanding research-related mentorship of trainees or junior faculty
- For the Senior Research Excellence Award, historical and sustained research excellence
- For the Foundations and Senior Research Excellence Award, establishing resources and sponsorship that broadly supports other faculty members
- Other research related activities that help to fulfill the mission of the RSPH.
Nomination Process for all Research Excellence Awards
We invite nominations for RSPH faculty members at all faculty levels, who have achieved outstanding scholarly success. To make a nomination (including self-nomination), please compile the following items:
- A brief written description of the qualities and accomplishments that make the nominee an excellent choice for the award (max 500 words).
- The CV for the nominee.
- At least one (1) and up to three (3) letters of support (max 1-page each) from individuals that are knowledgeable about the nominee’s work, which demonstrate the nominee’s significant contributions to their field of study.
Nominations should include at least one (1), and no more than three (3) letters of support (multiple people can sign a letter of support). Letters can come from persons internal or external to Emory University, and should demonstrate broad support for the nominee. Only letters of support received by the deadline will be included with your nomination application and submitted to the review committee.